Sunday, March 1, 2009

Middle Eastern Bean Salad with Parsley and Lemon (Balela)

Makes 4 generous servings

Ingredients
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed well and drained
1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, rinsed well and drained
1 cup chopped green onion (or less)
1 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato (about 6 small tomatoes)
1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

Dressing:
3 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp. garlic puree (or use finely minced fresh garlic)
4 T extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste

One at a time, empty canned beans into a colander placed in the sink, rinse well with cold water until no more foam appears, then let beans drain well. (I sometimes blot them dry with a paper towel if they still seem wet.) Put well-drained beans into a plastic bowl.

While beans drain, chop green onions, tomatoes, and parsley and add to bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Gently mix dressing into bean mixture, stirring just enough to combine and coat the ingredients with dressing. Let salad sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before servings, then season with more salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. (If I had lots of time I would drain beans, mix dressing, and then stir in about half the dressing into beans and let them marinate for a few hours before I added the other ingredients.)

Despite the fact that tomatoes shouldn't be refrigerated, this was actually very tasty even after being in the fridge for a few days. If you know you won't eat it all right away, you could mix together everything but tomatoes and add them each time you eat some.

2 comments:

  1. You have copied this recipe word for word from my website, without any credit to me. Here is my recipe posted on February 26. Copying all my writing in the recipe notes is a violation of my copyright notice. If you want to use a recipe from my site, you need to credit me with a link to the recipe on my blog.

    Thanks for your understanding. Please add a link so I don't have to file a DMCA complaint with google.

    ReplyDelete